Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova (Neuro Note #4)

Left Neglected by Lisa Genova is the story of a busy, successful, and over-worked mom to three kids. She is trying to "do it all" when she is involved in a terrible car crash on her way to work. This resulted in a traumatic brain injury that made Sarah, the main character, lose all awareness of the left side of her body. Although I am only halfway through this gripping story, it has already increased my learning about traumatic brain injury and the effects that it has on the client. Specifically, this book (although fictional) has increased my empathy for survivors of traumatic brain injury by showing a first hand account of what it's like to find yourself after such a traumatic accident. I also believe it has helped increase my empathy. It is particularly interesting to read about the family relationships and the ways that they can change after such a tragic event. I chose this book as my neuro note because I had been wanting to read a book on a topic I will face one day as an occupational therapist. I think it is important to read people's stories to get a better understanding of the clients' needs. I would definitely recommend this book to other occupational therapy students, and I look forward to reading other books by Lisa Genova in the future.

(Lady recommends it too!)

Genova, L. (2011). Left neglected. New York, NY: Gallery Books.

No comments: